Last updated on August 22th, 2022 by RGB Web Tech
In this post, we’re going to tackle head-on the confusion that seems to keep coming up in the world of hosting with the terms WordPress hosting vs Web Hosting.
Using some form of web hosting is essential if you want to take your business online. Picking the right host can boost your site’s SEO, increase your sales, and provide tools and packages to help your business. But what is the difference between WordPress hosting and web hosting, and which is the better option?
WordPress hosting and web hosting are two very different types of hosting and are not to be confused. There are a few key differences between the two, and each has its own advantages, plans, and providers. Here’s a guide to WordPress hosting vs. web hosting and how to differentiate and choose between the two.
What is WordPress hosting?
In a nutshell, WordPress hosting is a form of web hosting optimized to run WordPress sites.
By using a WordPress host, you’ll receive lots of tools and services that are specifically tailored to WordPress sites. These may vary depending on what WP hosting service you opt for, but often include features such as one-click-install, automatic software updates, and a team of support staff who specialize in WordPress to provide you with customized support.
What is web hosting?
Web hosting is a much more general term and describes the process of an individual or organization buying a spot online to make their website accessible on the Internet.
A web host works by allocating space on a server to store the files associated with your website and by providing internet connectivity for your site. This allows your website to go live on the Internet and appear in search results.
Web hosting is very much an umbrella term, and there are lots of different types of web hosting, as well as different providers and features. If you plan on creating a website for your business, you’ll need to use some form of web hosting because you won’t be able to get your site online without a host.
What’s the difference between web hosting and WordPress hosting?
The key difference between web hosting and WordPress hosting is that web hosting is a much broader, overarching service, while WordPress hosting refers to a specific niche tailored to WordPress installs.
Web hosting is a more generalized service and refers to any hosting service that stores a site’s files on a server to make the site live on the Internet. A web host will cater to a wide range of site builders, and the websites stored on one of their servers may be operating on thousands of different platforms.
WordPress hosting, on the other hand, is a specific niche in web hosting. WordPress hosting can also use shared servers to host multiple websites at once but, unlike web hosting, every website on a shared server will be a WordPress site. A WordPress host caters specifically to WordPress installs and offers customized solutions, services, and support optimized for WordPress performance.
How to choose the best hosting option for your business
With over 338,561 web hosting service providers available worldwide, it can be difficult to choose the right one for your business – especially if you’re still deliberating between WordPress hosting vs. web hosting.
Both options have their advantages and are available from a wide range of providers in a variety of plans. To choose the best option for your business, keep in mind the key things a business needs in a web hosting service:
- Dedicated 24/7 customer service
- Supported domain name management
- Basic security features
- Uptime guarantee
- Server accessibility
WordPress: a quick overview
WordPress powers 35% of all websites on the Internet right now – and with a 4% annual growth, this is set to rise. WordPress is a hugely popular site builder and is used by businesses such as eBay, The New York Times, and Sony to create and power their websites.
According to research, WordPress is the most used CMS, and more than 1.1 million new domains are registered every six months. If you’re looking to create a business website or migrate your existing one, WordPress is a leading site builder – and it’s a noteworthy hosting option, too.
WordPress is an easy-to-use, simple, and fully customizable hosting option, and using a WordPress hosting service alongside your WP site will optimize your site’s performance and results.
WordPress hosting benefits
- Improved Security: WordPress hosts offer servers equipped against WordPress-specific threats alongside a dedicated team who will stay on top of security issues and ensure your site is safe and secure.
- Fast set-up and Performance: The website set-up process is made incredibly quick using pre-configured web technologies and the WordPress servers ensure fast loading times and quick uptime from the moment your site’s live.
- Better Plugin Function: You won’t need to use as many plugins with a managed WP hosting service, because performance, security, and caching will all be optimized by the host. And for the plugins you do want or need, WP hosted sites are optimized to work with the most popular of them, which can be automatically updated.
- Easy-to-add SSL Certificates: Most managed WordPress hosting plans allow you to add an SSL certificate to your site in a couple of clicks, at no extra charge.
- Automatic Updates: Your website will receive automatic updates and upgrades, and security packages can be added to every website on a server at once.
- Tailored Support: When using a WordPress hosting service, you’ll be able to access dedicated customer support services, experts in resolving WordPress issues.
Who should use WordPress hosting?
If you built your website using WordPress, you’ll benefit hugely from using WordPress hosting. WP hosting integrates perfectly with websites built with WordPress and will improve your site’s functioning, security, and offer automatic updates. You don’t have to use WordPress Hosting if you have a WordPress website, but combining the two creates the ultimate package.
Those looking for a managed hosting plan would benefit from WordPress hosting, too. WordPress hosts often offer managed services, where your site is run and maintained for you by WP experts. This is a great option for those with limited time or experience with running a website.
Web hosting and WordPress hosting plans
Whether you choose to use WordPress hosting or web hosting, you’ll have to choose a hosting plan. Shared hosting, VPS hosting, Dedicated server hosting, and Cloud hosting are popular services offered by both WordPress hosts and web hosts.
WordPress hosts also offer some additional managed hosting services that can help with the running of your site.
Here are six of the most popular hosting plans available:
- Shared Hosting: When you use a shared hosting plan, your website will share a server with other clients. This is a cheaper option and is easy to set up, making it ideal for those who are creating a starter website or who don’t have much site traffic.
- Virtual Private Servers: A VPS plan is similar to shared hosting; you will share your server with other users, but you will be more isolated and have your own allotted space. This plan is ideal for those operating on a lower budget and who want a higher level of control and customization.
- Dedicated Server: If you have a high-traffic website and need optimized performance and fast loading speeds, a dedicated server is a good choice. Dedicated servers offer you total customization, improved reliability, and the chance to scale your business up; but they are a high investment option.
- Cloud Hosting: This is a relatively new type of hosting, where your website is hosted on a cloud infrastructure rather than stored on a physical server. This hosting plan has lots to offer to those looking for scalability and stability at a cheaper price, but pricing isn’t always fixed, so if your site experiences an increase in traffic, you might see an unexpected rise in costs.
- Managed WordPress Hosting: Lots of WordPress hosting providers offer a managed service, where the host manages and runs all the technical aspects of your WordPress site for you. Managed Hosting plans can be run across any of the hosting plans listed above, and offer optimum security, performance, and configuration.
- Optimized WordPress Hosting: If you’re looking for a hosting plan that offers pre-installed features and technologies to optimize your site, Optimized WordPress Hosting is a great choice. Optimized WordPress Hosting is a complete package plan and comes with pre-installed WordPress hosting, WordPress optimized servers, built-in WordPress security, and WordPress expert support.
Which plan you choose will depend on your budget, the amount of traffic your site receives, and how much help you want from your host in the running of your site.