Last updated on November 18th, 2023 by RGB Web Tech
In terms of global active users, Pinterest ranks as the 14th largest platform in the world as of January 2022.
The platform beats both Twitter and Reddit, but ranks below social networks like Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Snapchat.
In February 2021, Pinterest reported 459 million monthly active users — that was the biggest year over year increase the platform had ever seen (up 37% year over year). But in February 2022, they reported a 6% decrease.
Pinterest is vastly overlooked as a marketing platform. If strong visuals are part of your content marketing strategy, then it makes total sense to get on Pinterest (especially if your audience is active there).
Best Time to Post on Pinterest
Pinterest users skew heavily female, and 29% of users are active on this channel on a regular basis.
- The best times to post on Pinterest are 8 to 11 p.m. and, interestingly, 2 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. This could indicate some interest in the platform in non-North American time zones, which means global content is all the more important here.
- Contrasting many of the other channels we've listed here, evening commutes tend to be some of the worst times to post to Pinterest. That could be due to the fact that it's not as "browseable," with many pins requiring navigation away from the channel.
- Fridays and Saturdays may be the best times. This makes sense since people often use Pinterest to plan projects (and weekends are a good time to plan for the coming weeks).
|Active Users||444 M|
|Marketing Tools||Promoted Pins, Business Analytics|
|Ideal for||Interesting Ideas and Products, Driving Traffic to Blogs/ Sites|
|Aim at||Driving Traffic to Website and Increase Sales|
Pinterest Demographic Stats
- Pinterest global monthly active users are 444 million.
- Out of all, 90.45 million active users are from the U.S.
- 38.8% of Pinterest users are in the age group of 25-34.
- Pinterest has 78.1 million female users and 21.9 million male users in the U.S.
- More than 75% of Pinterest users are from outside the U.S.
- Females make up more than 70% of the users on the platform.
- 38.8% of the pinners are in the age group of 25-34.
Pinterest Usage Stats
- More than 2 billion searches happen on Pinterest each month.
- There are more than 5 billion boards on Pinterest.
- 74% of users use the Pinterest app.
- Pinterest users have cumulatively placed over 200 billion pins.
- 85% of Pinterest usage occurs on mobile apps.
- The average Pinterest user types in 8 searches per month.
- Pinterest users, in general, spend 29% more while shopping than non-users.
- 86% of millennials use Pinterest to plan life events.
- 63% of millennials use the platform to search for products and services.
- Over 75 billion pins have been uploaded to Pinterest.
- Some 43% of Internet users in the U.S. have a Pinterest account.
- High-income households are twice as likely to use Pinterest as low-income households.
Pinterest Engagement Stats
- Video views on Pinterest have increased by 200%.
- 78% of Pinterest users say it’s useful to see brand content on the platform.
- 55% of people use Pinterest to shop and buy.
- 89% of U.S. pinners use Pinterest for inspiration in their path to purchase.
- 98% of the users have tried something they found on Pinterest.
- Pinterest is most popular with women—especially moms.
- Related Pins account for 40% of engagement on Pinterest.
- More than 56 million pinners actively engage with home content.
- 70% use Pinterest to find accessories, watches, and jewelry.
- 52% use their platform to develop their knowledge of great food and drinks.
- Dads are 3x more likely to have shared boards than the average male pinner.
- 80% of moms use Pinterest.
- Pinterest trends increased to 56%, while the rest of the platforms rose to 38%.
- 600 million visual searches occur via the Pinterest lens every month.
Pinterest Business Stats
- Interaction with organic Pinterest shopping pins has increased by 44%.
- 87% of people on Pinterest have bought a product because of Pinterest, while 93% use Pinterest to plan a future purchase.
- 76% of pinners save items to purchase later.
- 97% of all searches on Pinterest are unbranded.
- Pins that show a product or service in action are 67% more likely to drive sales.
- Shopping is a top priority for 48% of Pinterest users.
- 85% of pinners put visuals first when shopping for apparel and furniture.
- 61% of users have purchased because of sponsored pins.
Pinterest Ads Insights
- 233 million people can be reached with adverts on Pinterest.
- 77.1% of ad audiences are female, and 14.8% are male.
- Marketers can reach 3.8% of the population that is aged 13+ with adverts.
- The highest reach ranking of Pinterest is witnessed in the U.S., followed by Brazil and Mexico.
- The majority of ad audiences on Pinterest are from the age group of 25-34, which constitutes 38.8% of all Pinterest users.
- Quarter-on-quarter change of Pinterest’s advertising reach is +4.4%.
- 78% of users say content from brands is useful, including ads
Pinterest Top Brands
- Oh Joy has an extensive following base of 15.2 million followers on Pinterest.
- Poppytalk has 10.5 million followers on Pinterest.
- Tasty has 10.4 million followers on Pinterest.
- Pejper has 6.8 million followers on Pinterest.
- Harper’s Bazaar has 6.4 million followers on Pinterest.
This text provides general information. Statista assumes no liability for the information given being complete or correct. Due to varying update cycles, statistics can display more up-to-date data than referenced in the text