How to use Meta Pics Label Tag on your website? The PICS ( Platform Independent Contact rating Scheme) specification enables labels (metadata) to be associated with Internet content. It was originally designed to help parents and teachers control what children access on the Internet, but it also facilitates other uses for labels, including code signing and privacy.
Using the Pics-label doesn't influence your ranking with the search engines. The title of your page, the keywords and the description tag do influence your ranking.
The PICS platform is one on which other rating services and filtering software have been built.
Category of Pics-label Multiculturalism
- Interactive: Active involvement of the user in multicultural activity using interactive techniques.
- Promotion: Active promotion of multiculturalism.
- Positive: Multicultural events presented in context; artistic work presented in the original culture.
- Neutral: No cultural context; reference works, dictionaries, catalogs.
- Negative: Multicultural events presented from a monoculture viewpoint; translation of artistic work from one culture into another for other than artistic reasons
- Demotion: Actively discourages multiculturalism; one culture or religion is defined as the only true culture
Category of Pics-label Education
- Interactive: Active involvement of the user in educational activity using interactive techniques.
- Educational: Educational material, created specifically to educate.
- Informative: Informational material, dictionaries, catalogs, factual accounts, works of literature, works of art, etc.
- None: Devoid of educational or artistic content.
- Misinformation: Presents information is known to be false as fact; e.g. Holocaust denial.
Category of Pics-label Environmental Awareness
- Interactive: Active involvement of the user in environmentally positive activity using interactive techniques.
- Promotion: Encouragement of environmental awareness.
- Positive: Portrayal of environmentally sensitive behavior; recycling, conservation, proper disposal, etc.
- Neutral: No environmental content
- Negative: Portrayal of environmentally insensitive behavior by minor characters; pollution of resources, improper disposal.
- Demotion: Promotion of environmentally damaging behavior by role-model figures; destruction of resources, habitat, animal species.
Category of Pics-label Tolerance
- Promotion: Promotion of tolerant behavior.
- Positive: Portrayal of tolerant behavior.
- Neutral: No Intolerant content; reference works, etc.
- Negative: Portrayal of intolerant behavior by minor characters
- Intolerance: Portrayal of intolerant behavior by role-model figures.
- Active Intolerance: Promoting hatred based on differences in religion, culture, race, sexual orientation, etc.
- Unlimited Intolerance: Active promotion of intolerant behavior; calling for ethnic cleansing, Jihad, genocide, etc.
Category of Pics-label Violence
- None: No violent content.
- Reference: Reference works portraying violence, news with violent content.
- Minor: In-context violence by minor characters, self-defense by role models.
- Major: In-context violence by role model characters.
- Extreme: Frequent violence by role models, promotion of violent behavior, treatment of human beings as disposable objects, rape.
- Unlimited: Killing, torture, rape in the creation of an entertainment product. Snuff movies. Active involvement of the user in violent activity using teleoperator techniques, remote-controlled torture of animals or humans.
Category of Pics-label Sex
- None: No sexual content.
- Minor: Implicit in-context sexual conduct by consenting adults; no nudity.
- Reference: Reference works portraying sex, reproduction; educational material.
- Nudity: In-context sexual conduct by consenting adults; nudity, no penetration. Out-of-context sexual conduct, partial nudity; sex used as a promotional tool.
- Normal: In-context sexual conduct by consenting adults; vaginal penetration of female by male-only.
- Other: Sexual conduct by consenting adults; penetration, anal, toys. Interactive viewing of sexual activity using videoconference techniques.
- Interactive: Active involvement of the user in sexual activity using teleoperator techniques, tactile virtual reality.
- Unlimited: Non-consensual sex, rape, sex with minors, animals; mutilation, torture.
Category of Pics-label Profanity
- None: No profanity.
- Reference: Reference works, dictionaries.
- Minor: Occasional profanity by minor characters; mild in-context profanity by role model characters.
- Major: Frequent profanity by role model characters.
- Unlimited: Constant profanity by all characters.
Category of Pics-label Safety
- Active: Active promotion of safe work and personal behavior.
- Positive: Portrayal of safe behavior by role-models. Technical manuals and books describing safe practice.
- Neutral: No safety-related content.
- Negative: Promotion of unsafe behavior. Drug use, reckless driving by role models. Suggestions that safe behavior is effeminate or unmanly.
- Misleading: Presentation of misleading information, that if acted on could result in injury or death. Representation of known harmful activities such as smoking as beneficial.
Category of Pics-label Canadian Content
- All: All-Canadian content
- Some: Some Canadian content or production
- None: No Canadian content
Category of Pics-label Commercial Content
- None: No commercial content; no advertising material.
- Minor: Minor commercial content, corporate sponsorship, low-key advertising.
- Major: Major commercial content, high-impact advertising, infomercials
- Interactive: Online purchasing of products or services.
Category of Pics-label Gambling
- None: No gambling or games of chance.
- Fun: Games of chance for fun only; no monetary value of stakes or prizes.
- No-stake: Limited games of chance, no monetary value of stakes.
- Unlimited: Games of chance where stakes must be purchased or have a monetary value.
An example of meta tag http-equiv="Pics-label"
Je kunt bijvoorbeeld dan de volgende metatag in je broncode plaatsen. De verschillende schrijfwijze aan het einde is het verschil tussen " /> = xml of "> = html.
Where should you add this Pics-label tag?
You may add this meta tag to all of your webpages, so not only on the first index page. Make sure that on every page relevant meta tags are added. Add keywords and phrases that are relevant and correspond to the text and the language on that specific page. It might be a lot of work to add specific meta tags to each page but you will notice in time that it works!