Bluefish FREE HTML Web Editor
Last updated on April 14th, 2023 by RGB Web Tech
Bluefish is a powerful editor targeted towards programmers and web developers, with many options to write websites, scripts and programming code. Bluefish supports many programming and markup languages. See features for an extensive overview, take a look at the screenshots, or download it right away. Bluefish is an open source development project, released under the GNU GPL licence.
Bluefish is a multi-platform application that runs on most desktop operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD, MacOS-X, Windows, OpenBSD and Solaris.
- Alexa Rank - 617,644
- Developer(s) - Bluefish Dev Team
- Stable release - January 24, 2020
- Written in - C
- Operating system - Cross-platform (POSIX)
- Type - Text editor
- License - GPL
- Website - http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
- Lightweight - Bluefish tries to be lean and clean, as far as possible given it is a GUI editor.
- Fast - Bluefish starts really quick (even on a netbook) and loads hundreds of files within seconds.
- Multiple document interface, easily opens 500+ documents (tested >10000 documents simultaneously).
- Project support, enables you to work efficiently on multiple projects, and automatically restores settings for each project.
- Multi-threaded support for remote files using gvfs, supporting FTP, SFTP, HTTP, HTTPS, WebDAV, CIFS and more.
- Very powerful search and replace, with support for Perl Compatible regular expressions, sub-pattern replacing, and search and replace in files on disk.
- Open files recursively based on filename patterns and/or content patterns.
- Snippets sidebar - specify custom dialogs, search and replace patterns or insert patterns and bind them to a shortcut key combination of your liking to speed up your development process.
- Integrate external programs such as make, lint, weblint, xmllint, tidy, javac, or your own program or script to handle advanced text processing or error detection.
- Integrate external filters of your liking, pipe your document (or just the current selected text) through sort, sed, awk or any custom script.
- Unlimited undo/redo functionality.
- In-line spell checker which is programing language aware (spell check comments and strings, but not code), requires libenchant during compilation.
- Auto-recovery of changes in modified documents after a crash, kill or shutdown.
- Character map of all unicode characters (requires lib gucharmap during compilation).
- Site upload / download.
- Full screen editing.
- Many tools such as tabs to spaces, join lines, lines to columns, strip whitespace, etc.
- Customizable programming language support.
- Multiple encodings support. Bluefish works internally with UTF8, but can save your documents in any desired encoding.
- Bookmarks functionality.
- HTML toolbar and tearable menu.
- Compliance with the Gnome and KDE user interface guidelines where possible.
- Translations into 17 languages.
If you want to explore more about Text Editor or WYSIWYG Editor, We recommend you to go through our detailed article of HTML Editors.