Last updated on January 1st, 2023 by RGB Web Tech
Visual Studio Code is a free source-code editor made by Microsoft for Windows, Linux and macOS. Features include support for debugging, syntax highlighting, intelligent code completion, snippets, code refactoring, and embedded Git. Users can change the theme, keyboard shortcuts, preferences, and install extensions that add additional functionality.
Visual Studio Code's source code comes from Microsoft's free and open-source software VSCode project released under the permissive Expat License, but the compiled binaries are freeware for any use.
- Developer(s) - Microsoft
- Initial release - April 29, 2015
- Stable release - July 23, 2020
- Operating system - Windows 7 or later, OS X 10.9 or later, Linux
- Type - Source code editor, debugger
- License - Source code for Expat License & Binaries for Freeware
- Website - https://code.visualstudio.com
1. Meet IntelliSense: Go beyond syntax highlighting and autocomplete with IntelliSense, which provides smart completions based on variable types, function definitions, and imported modules.
2. Print statement debugging is a thing of the past: Debug code right from the editor. Launch or attach to your running apps and debug with breakpoints, call stacks, and an interactive console.
3. Git commands built-in: Working with Git and other SCM providers has never been easier. Review diffs, stage files, and make commits right from the editor. Push and pull from any hosted SCM service.
4. Extensible and customizable: Want even more features? Install extensions to add new languages, themes, debuggers, and to connect to additional services. Extensions run in separate processes, ensuring they won't slow down your editor.
5. Deploy with confidence and ease: With Microsoft Azure you can deploy and host your React, Angular, Vue, Node, Python (and more!) sites, store and query relational and document based data, and scale with serverless computing, all with ease, all from within VS Code.
Alternatives to Visual Studio Code
- Adobe Dreamweaver CC HTML Editor
- Notepad++ HTML Editor
- Bubble WYSIWYG Editor
- Sublime Text HTML Editor
- Atom HTML Editor
- CKEditor WYSIWYG Editor
- TinyMCE WYSIWYG Editor
- NetBeans HTML Editor
- Komodo Edit HTML Editor
- Froala WYSIWYG Editor
- Brackets HTML Editor
- CoffeeCup HTML Editor
- Editor.js WYSIWYG Editor
- Phase 5 HTML Editor
- Kompozer WYSIWYG Editor
- UltraEdit HTML Editor
- BareBones Edit HTML Editor
- TextMate HTML Editor
- Setka WYSIWYG Editor
- Aptana Studio HTML Editor
- CotEditor HTML Editor
- Bluefish HTML Editor
- NoteTab HTML Editor